MapSource products provide geographic data in CD-ROM/DVD-ROM format that can be viewed on a PC. Additionally, some Garmin units can accept map downloads from various MapSource products to augment the detail already on your Garmin GPS basemap.
All MapSource products include the trip and waypoint manager functions for transferring waypoints, routes, and tracks. Your preference for map detail and your specific activities will determine which MapSource product is right for you. MapSource gives you the flexibility to select the mapping coverage you need.
While using MapSource, the trip and waypoint planning function is compatible with nearly all Garmin GPS systems. The map transfer feature is compatible with numerous Garmin GPS units please check your specific Garmin GPS unit and MapSource product for compatibility.
For those who navigate the urban jungle, MapSource offers titles with detailed street maps, address lookup and points of interest listings. With this kind of data downloaded to your compatible Garmin GPS, you can literally travel to a new city, look up your hotel, restaurants, attractions and other services and use your GPS to guide you there without ever stopping for directions. It offers automatic route capability on the PC, which means you simply select a starting point and destination and MapSource calculates a route, which you can then download to your unit.
For those units that accept the map transfer feature, users can either download MapSource CD- ROM/DVD-ROM content to data cards or directly to their units depending on the GPS product they own. To download information directly to your GPS, simply connect your Garmin GPS to your PC using a compatible PC serial interface cable or USB interface cable (depending on your model). Select the map areas on screen, and with the click of the mouse, the information downloads to your GPS.
When using a locked MapSource product, the real-time track plotting function will work only with a valid unlock code for the GPS unit being used (not all units will be compatible with this). Each MapSource product is sold separately; however, more than one product can be used and downloaded into a Garmin-compatible unit. Note the MapSource Application will not support real-time tracking any longer.
* Allows you to transfer waypoints, routes and tracks between your computer and your Garmin device.
* Includes political boundaries, cities, towns, urban areas, major motorways and interstates, principal highways and railroads.
* Displays lakes, major streams and rivers.
* Contains coastline detail, including many off-shore islands, and worldwide nautical navaids such as daybeacons, radiobeacons, RACONs, fog signals, lights and buoys.
* Provides U.S. Interstate exits information, such as service stations, gas stations, restaurants, hotels, campsites, hospitals, banks and more.
* IBM-compatible PC running Windows 2000 or Windows XP operating system;
* 32MB RAM minimum;
* between 300 MB and 1.5GB free hard disk space;
* CD-ROM drive;
* available serial port;
* 256 color display adapter and monitor (24 bit recommended);
* and mouse or other pointing device;
* PC Interface cable;
* Internet access is also recommended to make use of the unlock process.
* WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a MapSource product.
* This version of MapSource no longer supports Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, or Windows 2000. MapSource now requires Windows XP with Service Pack 3 or higher.
If you're heading for remote parts of the world, WorldMap has you covered. WorldMap provides basic worldwide maps for your Garmin device, including areas where no other detailed maps are available. These general maps display political boundaries, coastlines, cities and towns, major interstates and highways, lakes and rivers, and urban areas and railroads. WorldMap also includes U.S. Interstate exit information, including fuel and service stations, restaurants, hotels, campsites, hospitals, and banks.